Seeds to Plate grows students' love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
Our program utilizes the natural world to give students a deeper understanding of their academic subjects while at the same time sowing seeds that can grow into global stewardship and healthy life choices.
What We've Achieved in 2018
- Added 20 more lessons to the ones we created in 2016 resulting in over 90 lessons to share with other school garden programs.
- Taught weekly lessons to 600+ students (90% of our total student body) connecting the garden to language arts, history, science, math, health, food literacy, water and sustainability, and art.
- Day long workshops by 16 UCLA Pediatric Residents, reaching almost the entire student body
- Cooking with Chemistry, by Chef Clemence Gossett of La Gourmandise Cooking School
- Provided technical support and seedlings to 14 school garden programs in Mar Vista and Venice.
- Continued our annual training of 60 Master Gardeners from the UC Cooperative Extension about our Program and other school garden programs in LA.
- Mentored 12 UCLA service learning students and interns who were teacher aides in our classes, as part of our ongoing partnership with UCLA.
- Continued our on-going partnership with The Gjelina Foundation.